The flexibility of the Women’s and Gender Studies major makes it ideal for combining with other majors for a double major. Popular choices for double majors include Journalism and Mass Communication, Political Science, History, Sociology, History and Human Relations. The Women’s and Gender Studies major requires 33 hours of coursework including: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies; 21 hours of electives with a minimum of three hours in each of the categories History and Culture, Literature, Art and Communication, and Contemporary Society and Policy; one course in Method and Theory in Women’s and Gender Studies; a senior seminar; and a senior thesis or internship.
Major in WGS
Departmental Checksheet for Majors
REQUIREMENTS: The major is 33 hours with a minimum of:
- WGS 1003 Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies(3 hours)
- Area Studies (21 hours required), at least one course from each of three categories: History and Culture, Literature, Art and Communication and Contemporary Society and Policy
- Senior Requirements (9 Hours): Thesis or Internship, WGS 4003 Method and Theory, and WGS 4123 Contemporary Feminist Thought
Please see the OU Course Catalog for a complete list of courses available.
Minor in WGS
WGS Minor Checksheet
The Women’s and Gender Studies minor can easily be combined with many majors including Education, English, History, Human Relations, Journalism and Mass Communication, Music, Modern Languages, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology and Social Work. To earn a Women’s and Gender Studies minor, students complete 18 hours of credit, including Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies and an internship or capstone.
Requirements (18 hours total):
- WGS 1003 Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies
- One of the following courses: WGS 3980, WGS 4013, WGS 4123, WGS 4913, WGS 4990
- 12 hours of electives from the approved list
For advising questions, please contact:
iadvise.ou.edu to set up an appointment